The Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) Program offers qualified first-time homebuyers a Federal income tax credit. The credit can reduce potential Federal income tax liability, creating additional net spendable income for qualified first-time homebuyers to possibly use toward their monthly mortgage payment. This MCC Program enables qualified first-time homebuyers to convert a portion of their annual mortgage interest into a direct dollar-for-dollar tax credit on their U.S. individual income tax returns. The qualified homebuyer is awarded a tax credit of up to 20% of the annual interest paid on the mortgage loan. The remaining 80% of the mortgage interest will continue to qualify as an itemized tax deduction.
To become a participating lender, you must receive MCC training from our agency. Please click here to register for the next training.
- Applicants must be a first-time homebuyer: no ownership interest in real estate at any time in the past three years
- The first-time homebuyer's household annual income cannot exceed program guidelines
- Homebuyers must occupy the home as their principal residence
- The household’s annual income must be below the following limits:
- For one to two persons, the maximum income limit is $135,120
- For three or more persons, the maximum income limit is $157,640
- Annualized gross income is current gross monthly income multiplied by 12
- Income includes the income of both spouses, whether or not both spouses will be on title
- The property must be a single-family home or a condominium within the purchase price limits
- The maximum purchase price limit in the non-target areas is $679,847 (New Construction) and $679,847 (Existing), and in the target areas $830,924 (New Construction and Existing)
- Click here to make sure the property is in the unincorporated area of Los Angeles County, or in one of the MCC Participating Cities
Contact an MCC Participating Lender to start the process of getting pre-qualified.
The MCC Participating Lender will submit the first-time homebuyer’s application to our agency.MCC Participating Lenders